Roger de Pont l’Évêque, Archbishop of York 1154-81, set about building a magnificent new church over Wilfrid’s crypt in order to promote pilgrimages to his tomb. But Roger’s determination to site the church so that the crypt was beneath the crossing meant that the east end extended over sloping ground, which therefore had to be made up. This has caused problems over the centuries, leading to various programmes of rebuilding. For example, in 1280 the eastern façade and half of the Quire collapsed, although the rebuilding has given us our great east window in the Decorated style. The West Front had earlier been completed by Archbishop Walter de Grey (died 1255). Its austere style has been hailed by Pevsner as one of the outstanding examples of Early English architecture. An earthquake caused the collapse of the central tower in 1450, and the building programme needed after this was never quite completed, so that there are some odd mixtures of style near the crossing. Then, between 1501 and 1522 there were extensive enlargements: the nave walls were replaced with Perpendicular arches, extended to the clerestory windows, and side aisles were added. This gives us the cathedral we enjoy now.