Experience the sights and sounds of Ripon past, present and future at a fun, free family=friendly event taking place at venues across the city on Sat 14 March. Ripon Cathedral is just one of a host of venues around the city offering a feast for the senses between 11am and 4pm.
Ripon’s three museums are open free of charge with a fun range of activities for all including object handling, have-a-go craft sessions, youth performances and ‘Workhouse Soup’ cookery demonstrations plus a pop up café in the Workhouse Museum with tastier treats.
Other activities around the city include:
• Dress up your selfie and learn new photo editing skills
• Get up close to fire-fighting and police vehicles in the market square
• Take a look inside Ripon Cathedral, and enjoy the colour and beauty created by its fabulous stained glass windows
• Visit Ripon library for children’s story sacks, fun quiz and lots of other activities (11am-2pm)
• Find out more about the horn-blower at the town hall, this tradition is the longest ongoing unbroken daily ceremony in the world, still going strong after over 1128 years!
• Enjoy craft and musical activities for babies and young children at Ripon’s Community House
• Find out more about what’s on offer at the new Skate Park at a display in Ripon’s library
• North Yorkshire Horizons will also be on hand to provide fascinating facts, advice and support about drug and alcohol addiction.
Stuart Martin, Ripon City Councillor and Chair of the Ripon Minster ‘My Neighbourhood’ Project comments: ‘This will be a great opportunity for families to learn more about the history of Ripon past and present whilst also having a opportunity to experience new things and it promises to be a great day out for all the family.”
The Sights and Sounds…My Community, My Ripon! Event is the 4th ‘My Community Event, and has been organised by the Ripon Minster ‘My Neighbourhood’ Project team, which comprises 15 public and voluntary organisations.
A full list of activities can be found on www.riponmuseums.co.uk/events or by phoning 01765 690799 for details.